Europe’s premier health, sport and leisure group, David Lloyd Leisure has rolled out Pennies, the electronic charity box, to raise money for Sport Relief 2014, which the group is supporting as Official Fitness Partner.

Members at the group’s UK David Lloyd Clubs who pay by card in the DLicious cafebars now have the choice to round up their bill to the nearest pound for charity, while those using the clubs’ Amida Spas can choose to give a set donation of 25p.

Card holders will be asked discreetly via the Chip & PIN terminal whether they would like to make a donation to charity, with 95 per cent going to Sport Relief, one of the UK’s biggest fundraising events that brings the country together to get active, raise cash and change lives. The remaining 5 per cent goes to Pennies, a registered charity that distributes the funds and is dedicated to promoting micro-donations for charity to card shoppers.

David Lloyd Leisure’s chief operating officer, Julie Porter, commented: “Small change can make a big difference, and we are delighted that our members and team members now have the opportunity to donate to Sport Relief in a quick, simple and discreet way, while using Pennies in our DLicious cafebars and Amida Spas. We look forward to raising vital funds for a great cause that helps so many disadvantaged people both at home in the UK and across the world.”

Alison Hutchinson, chief executive of Pennies, said: “It is fantastic to see the roll-out of Pennies to the majority of David Lloyd Leisure clubs. We hope that members enjoying a meal, drink or spa experience will choose to make a donation that will go to a great cause. Card use is on the rise and we want to harness this growing power with Pennies, which enables consumers to make a real difference at the touch of a button in the same way that they’ve traditionally dropped coins into a charity collecting tin.”

As the Official Fitness Partner for Sport Relief 2014, David Lloyd Leisure’s 78 David Lloyd Clubs across the UK are hosting a series of fundraising initiatives to support the campaign, which culminates with the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games, from March 21 to 23.

Among the events planned, David Lloyd Leisure will stage a Friends and Family Weekend across the clubs on March 15 and 16, featuring a range of fundraising activities for members and their guests – with the emphasis being on taking part and having fun!

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this