Domino’s customers are all heart as they share their pennies

Domino’s customers have shown that they are all heart by rounding up the price of their orders, a cool one million times, and donating their ‘spare change’ to charity. Domino’s Pizza joined forces with The Pennies Foundation, the creators of the micro-donation scheme Pennies, the electronic charity box in November 2010 and since then customers have raised over £230,000 for UK charities.

Domino’s nominated charity, Special Olympics Great Britain, benefits from 75% of the money raised in Great Britain, while the Northern Ireland Children’s Hospice receives 75% of the money raised in Northern Ireland. The remaining 25% is shared amongst other UK charities, including Shelter, Together for Short Lives and NSPCC.

Pennies, the electronic charity box, is designed to make giving to charity easy, quick and affordable. With one touch of a button shoppers can choose to round up their payment to the nearest pound when they pay by debit card, credit card or electronically. To date the most common amount donated by Domino’s customers has been 1p, demonstrating how quickly those pennies add up.

Lance Batchelor, CEO of Domino’s Pizza said: “We are delighted that the Pennies scheme has been so well received by our customers. It is fantastic news to hear that we have received one million donations and that so many charities will benefit from our customers’ generosity. In these times of economic hardship it is heart warming to know that people are still happy to share what they have. We are very proud and grateful to our customers.”

Karen Wallin, CEO for Special Olympics Great Britain said: “We are thrilled with the contribution we have been given. So far, we have received £175,000 and our heartfelt thanks go to everyone who has donated. The money will go towards many local and national projects and assist our athletes in their own personal development. Pennies is such a brilliant idea – it makes it so simple for people to make a donation.

Alison Hutchinson, CEO for The Pennies Foundation said: “We’ve been overwhelmed by the generosity of Domino’s customers, a million thank-yous to all those who have donated. These pennies from Domino’s customers really do add up, providing much needed funds for charity and ultimately making a huge difference to people’s lives.”


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this