Multi-channel retailer Screwfix has raised more than £27,000 through electronic charity box, Pennies, after customers generously donated their ‘spare change’ 100,00 times for prostate and testicular cancer appeal, Everyman.

At the start of 2012, the trade supplier added the innovative Pennies initiative to its website, which lets customers round up their total order to the nearest pound with the extra pennies going to the Everyman appeal.

Jacqueline Rogers, Head of Corporate Partnerships at Everyman, said: “We’re thrilled with the on-going generosity of Screwfix’s customers. These donations will enable our scientists to continue making the discoveries that defeat cancer. Enough money has been raised to buy a range of daily lab essentials and equipment including microscopes used in medical research and spectrophotometers, which measure different proteins in samples. Our progress is having a real impact on cancer patients’ lives and we are grateful to Screwfix customers for their continued support.”

John Mewett, marketing director at Screwfix, said: “It’s great to see our customers donate such a fantastic amount of money through Pennies. The initiative is an innovative and powerful platform to raise funds for charity and being a truly multi-channel business, our customers have really bought into the idea. Pennies has made donating money quick and easy, and every penny our tradesmen donate online goes to charity, including Everyman.

“I’m sure that as we go into 2013, the work we continue to do with Pennies will really magnify our fundraising efforts and make a huge difference to the great work that Everyman does.”

Alison Hutchinson, Chief Executive of The Pennies Foundation said: “The generosity of Screwfix’s customers has been phenomenal.  They embraced micro-donations from day one, and continue to give in their thousands. These pennies from Screwfix’s customers really do add up, and it is great to see the funds already making a difference to people’s lives through Everyman.”

Screwfix has been working with Everyman since 2009, raising much needed money and awareness for the appeal which was set up by The Institute of Cancer Research in 1997 to address an urgent lack of funding for research into male cancers.

Over the last two years, Screwfix has used its profile in the male dominated construction industry to make men more aware of the symptoms of prostate and testicular cancer, and the serious health implications of not detecting the signs early.

Everyman receives 75% of donations made on the Screwfix website through Pennies.  The remaining 25% will be shared amongst other UK charities, including Shelter, Together for Short Lives and the Children’s Burns Trust.





Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this