Our impact so far

Giving small change a big purpose

In just ten years, we’re thrilled that customers have adopted the micro-donation movement in their millions. Here you’ll find an insight into our ongoing and growing impact and examples of how we’ve made those pennies count for more than 650 causes across the UK, Republic of Ireland and beyond.

Over £28,000,000 raised for charity

We’re making more pennies count for charity week on week, as we grow.

Over 115,000,000 donations

Customers have pressed ‘yes’ to make micro-donation millions of times with Pennies.

More than 650 charities helped

In 10 years, we’ve supported over 650 regional and national charities.

Our impact reporting

Ensuring that micro-donations add up to something meaningful, and that they help charities to create positive change, is crucial.

As well as regularly reporting stories from benefiting charities on our website, through social channels and in our annual impact report, we work closely with partner merchants to help them report this impact back to customers.

You can read more about our charitable aims, impact and social return on investment in our Pennies Impact Report 2019/20 here.

Pennies Impact Report 2019/20

Crunching the numbers

How our spending compares to our income, and the customer habits that drive micro-donations.

%

Charitable spending

In 2018, 93.4% of our spending was spent on charitable activities. The rest was spent on governance and supporting these activities.

%

% to Pennies

Up 10% of customer donations go to Pennies, to help us grow. The remaining 90% goes to charities nominated by the retailer.

%

Cashless society

25% of the public told us they frequently leave the house without cash. Pennies offers people a way to keep making small-change donations.

How your pennies count

The pennies soon add up, and the cumulative power of thousands of feel-good donations has a transformative effect on people and communities across the country. Here are just a few ways your small change is given a big purpose:

Crafting support for hospice care

1 hour​ of ​micro-donations in Hobbycraft stores​ can allow Together for Short Lives to connect 10 families with seriously ill children with their local hospice.

Diners donate for mental health

A lunchtime of donations made by diners at Zizzi could pay for The Mental Health Foundation to provide 90 people with mental health advice and a wellbeing ‘how to’ guide.

DIY support for local communities

A day and a half ​of donations online or in-app from Screwfix customers could fund a vital repair project for a charity in the community through The Screwfix Foundation.

For more examples of our impact and stories from the charities your digital pennies support, visit our impact stories archive here.