Pennies CEO and co-founder, Alison Hutchinson CBE, is honoured to be included in The Financial Technologist’s “FT Founders 50” list, recognising fintech’s most inspirational founders, announced on 13 June 2019.
Tony Babb, CEO of Harrington Starr, publishers of The Financial Technologist spoke about the FT Founders 50:
The FT Founders 50 are united by a strong commercial acumen allowing them to create exceptional technology solutions but also to attract investment, lay out the benefits to customers and to create a long-term business plan with a clear goal and benefit. Whilst this may seem common sense, it is spectacularly less common in practice.
They have thought about how their solution adds real value to the market place and created a value proposition that can be clearly articulated.
Alison Hutchinson said of the accolade:
This is truly recognition for Pennies and the entire team and our partners that work so tirelessly. It’s 100% a team effort, but of course a real honour to be named. Next year marks a decade of Pennies, but we still feel young with a huge amount to strive to accomplish together.
With over 75M donations now made through Pennies, exceeding £18M for charity, we continue to work hand-in-hand with our paytech and fintech partners to relentlessly pursue new ways for customers to donate a few digital pence when they make a purchase – no matter what the channel or where they are. Together these Pennies add up to making a significant difference to charities and communities across the UK, so we are proud to be leading a fintech for social good bringing digital communities to physical communities – and making consumers feel-good in the process.
Hundreds of names across fintech were nominated through social media and the Harrington Starr website. Judges from Harrington Starr, EY, Baringa, TRG and Simmons & Simmons made the final decision on the 50 published in The Financial Technologist magazine on 14 June 2019.
– Ends –
For more information or to speak to Alison Hutchinson, please contact Head of Marketing and Communications Rob Dyson on Rob.Dyson@Pennies.org.uk or 0300 302 0172.
Notes to Editors
- Pennies is the digital charity box enabling customers to give a few pence to charity when the pay by card or mobile wallet.
- Together with its partners, Pennies has unlocked £18 million of extra income for over 400 UK registered charities. This has been raised by an incredible 74 million small change digital donations – and growing.
- Pennies is now present in over 7,000 stores across retail, hospitality and the service sector, and live in over 60 partners across the retail, hospitality, leisure and service sectors and operates in the UK, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
- Currently someone in the UK donates using Pennies every 2 seconds.
- 100% of Pennies customer donations go to charity – 90% to the retailers’ nominated charity/ies and 10% to Pennies – also a charity – to grow the micro-donating movement.
- Pennies is live across a breadth of 60+ retail, hospitality and service sector leaders across the UK, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, including Domino’s, Boots Opticians, Oasis Fashion, Screwfix, Hobbycraft, Topps Tiles, Virgin Holidays, Zizzi, The Entertainer, and Rontec and MFL roadside retail outlets.